Title Image

Frequently Asked Questions

What makes SA Roadtripers different? All our campervans are built and designed in our own factory according strict quality standards and controls. Our professional team of travel consultants is ready to make your next Southern Africa adventure a reality.

Can I pick up at one branch and drop off at another?

Yes, this can be done with an added relocation fee.

Can I pick-up or drop-off at the airport?

No, however we are close to the airport and can arrange for transfers to and from your desired transit point or hotel.

Do you offer transfers to and from the depot?


Does every driver have to be there on pick up?


What are the Branch Hours?

Monday to Friday 08h00 – 16h30 otherwise by special arrangement after hours and on the weekend.

Are there additional fees for extra drivers?

One extra driver is free. An additional fee of ZAR 500,00 will be charged for extra drivers over and above the first two.

Can I supply my relevant booking and paper work before arriving at the Branch?

Yes, the more details that are completed will make the handover quicker and smother.

Do you offer any additional items to hire?

Yes , GPS , baby car seats. If there are specific items that you would require please ask and we will do our best to provide these.

Is there a minimum rental duration?

Yes, the minimum rental period is 4 days.

Can we smoke in the vehicle?


Do we have to book campgrounds in advance?

Yes this is advisable, but not essential, generally campsites will always try to accommodate you.

Do you have Vehicle Assistance while I am on the road?


How and where do I dump my waste?

At some campsites there are designated waste dumps for the toilette cassettes. At most the cassettes are simply emptied into the campsite toilet bowls.

Do I need to bring a plug adaptor?

South Africa uses a different plug, so it would be advisable to get an adaptor, these are available in the shops at the airport.

Do the campers have awnings?


Do you have any vehicles with automatic transmission?


Does the CD player in the vehicle connect to iPod?


Does the CD player in the vehicle connect to MP3 players?


How long does the battery system last?

The battery system would last with normal usage approximately 2-3 days without charging either from external power for charging or by driving the camper to charge the batteries.

What works when the campervan is not connected to a 220V power supply?

The fridge, water pump and overhead fan, shower and the lights.

What will additionally work when connected to the 220 Volts supply?

The overhead air conditioner, microwave and all of the 220 volt outlets.

Are there any roads that I cannot drive on?

All campers are allowed to travel on any properly tarred surface. Good smooth sand roads (non-corrugated) are also permitted. There are areas however that are not suitable for driving with a camper. These are: the Swartberg Pass (SA), the Sani Pass (SA), Kalahari Gemsbok Park (also called Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park), The road to the Sentech Towers in Marakele Park (SA), Baviaanskloof Pass (SA), all of Mozambique, all of Malawi, all of Angola, Zambia further than Livingstone, all of Zimbabwe, all 4×4 trails, the Skeleton Coast Park (Namibia), the short road from Hobas to the Viewpoint (Fish River Canyon), Van Zyl’s Pass (Namibia), any sand dune, Sandwich Harbour (Namibia), the entire Kaokoland (Namibia), the Okavango Delta (Botswana) the Makgadigadi Pans (Botswana), narrow and steep single lane mountain passes and any road in South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana and Namibia that do not adhere to the condition of roads as mentioned above. D, G or F marked roads in Namibia(e.g. D4130 etc). Travelling in Zimbabwe is not allowed, since items like fuel or food are currently not always available. We also do not take responsibility for ANY damages or claims arising out of fast speeds and/or long distance driving on the washboard roads (especially C-roads) in Namibia.

Can a Baby or Booster Seat be fitted to any Motorhome?

Yes, you can fit your own one or we can supply one for you, kindly reserve a baby seat should you require one.

Do I need a special licence to drive?

No. You will need a code 08 and/or international drivers licence.

How old do I need to be to drive?

21 years old.

How to drive a 4x4 Camper?

Read more about 4×4 Camper Safety Tips.